Mum and baby hurt in horror escalator fall as pram ‘somersaults’ to bottom


A mum says she and her one-year-old baby were injured in a horror escalator fall inside a shopping centre, with the tot was “lucky to be alive”.

Emma Chesters, 28, was trying to take her pram up the escalator inside a Next shop at Arndale in Manchester when she lost her grip about three quarters of the way up..

The pram and her daughter Violet, who was strapped in, “did at least three somersaults to the bottom” in front of horrified shoppers and staff.

The mum, who took the escalator because several people were already waiting for the lift, said Violet suffered two cuts under her nostrils, one cut on her lip and a bump on her head.

Both were taken to hospital by ambulance following Thursday’s incident.

Emma, from Wythenshawe, said: “I was in Next and I saw the lift and there was a big group of women with prams so I just got onto the escalator.

“As I got about three quarters of the way I lost my grip.

“We was going up it, I had my back towards the side of the escalator going up and the baby was facing out, she was looking downwards.”

The pram “did at least three somersaults to the bottom”.

Emma added: “It was absolutely horrendous.

“I just could just hear people screaming, I just felt like I couldn’t breathe at the time.”

A paramedic arrived a short time later, and Emma and Violet were taken to the Manchester Royal Infirmary, where the mum said staff were ‘fantastic’.

Violet is now recovering at home and is “lucky to be alive”, said Emma.

She said: “Violet was wearing a padded coat, had blankets on her and was wearing a hat and she was strapped in.

“The doctors said that could have possibly saved her.”

Emma spoke out about the incident to thank those who helped her and Violet, including a female security guard in Next who was “absolutely unbelievable”, and warn other parents not to take their pram on an escalator.

The guard rang the ambulance and stayed with Emma and Violet.

Emma said: “Without her I don’t know what would have happened, she was first to respond”, she said.

“I never got to say thank you to her but she was unbelievable.”

She added: “I know that people think they are never going to let go of the pushchair but it is so dangerous.”

A boss from Next called her on Friday to check up on her and Violet, she said.

A spokesperson for the North West Ambulance Service said: “We received a 999 call at 12.53pm on Thursday, December 9.

“An ambulance and consultant paramedic attended.

“A baby was taken to hospital.”